10/22/2008

Interpretation of Data and Conclusions

Because I only interviewed one person on their experience with baby signing, I can't draw any real conclusions about how helpful baby signing can be or common patterns with signing.

The summary I posted earlier basically says that Mina taught her children to sign when they were little, which helped them to communicate effectively with her even before they could speak.

I take what Mina said to mean that she thinks teaching her children to sign was a positive thing, because it gave her a tool to communicate with her very young kids.

I think that parents of infants can use Baby Signing with their children so that they will hopefully have a way to communicate.


From my secondary research, I learned that American Sign Language is a language in which the speakers have hands signs for ideas rather than individual words. There are an approximated 500,000 to 2 million speakers of ASL in the United States alone.

Before I began this project, I wasn't sure that ASL could even be classified as a language. Now that I know there are possibly as many as 2 millions speakers in the US alone, I know for sure that ASL is really a language.

Another thing that I was unsure of before I began my research was if ASL was based off of English or not. Although the signs that ASL uses are called the same concept, I learned that ASL was not about communicating word for word. ASL is more about getting the concept across, and this means that if someone were to translate a series of signs in ASL to the English that most are familiar with, the grammar and sequence of the words wouldn't be parallel.

No comments: