10/22/2008

Recommendations

I only interviewed one person, so I wasn't able to find any trends or patterns. If I could do this project again, I would try to get at least 4-5 parents with experience teaching their children to sign.

I talked to my teacher about her experience with trying to teach her child to sign. She said that her daughter didn't seem to be picking up the signs so eventually she gave up on the idea. When her daughter began to talk, she used the signs that she had been taught in conjunction with the word she was saying.

Although I learned a basic amount about baby signing, but I don't know anything about the psychology around why some kids learn to sign, some before they can talk and others until they begin talking. An area that I would like to learn more about is why this happens, the scientific explanation. (If there even is one.) I haven't looked into if other people have researched this, (I assume that a fair number of people have) but at some point I would like to find out more about it.

No comments: